If you're bored - click here. I do.

Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Need Some Cheese For This Whine....

I got this from Karen @ muffin fixation, who got it  from I go through life in inches and pounds. (Whom I didn't know - until now) And because I'm still getting over being sick, haven't been to the gym in a week and am scared to weigh myself. I'm going to repost this.

Ok, it's because I'm lazy today just lazy. I'm human, sue me.

Some great quotes from Jewel in the July 2010 Shape Magazine cover story:

On being called "the chubby Renee Zellweger" in the media years ago:

"My feelings were so hurt by that story, I ended up binging on an entire cake. Afterward, I actually tried to throw it all up, but thankfully I couldn't do it. It made me think, 'I can't go down this road.' I had seen so many performers develop eating disorders or try to control their weight with drugs, and I decided I would do no harm to my body."

Her advice to women:
"We should be more like men, God bless 'em. They can take their shirts off and show their man boobs, and they don't give a hoot. But women are so critical of themselves. We can be gorgeous and hot and still be embarrassed to wear a tank top. So if you can't stop looking in the mirror, at least try to not think badly about yourself when you do."


So let's all promise two things to ourselves today...
1.  I will do no harm to my body.
2. I will not think badly about myself when I look in the mirror.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course, when I was done reading - I went to the original article and found Jewel looking like this:
And I was like...pfft. Yeah. I'd be all "women shouldn't care about their bodies and be proud to show it off" if I looked like that. Heck. I'd be happy to be called the "chubby Renee Zellweger - because that would mean I weighed.....what? 122 pounds instead of 115. Whatever.

I'm not bashing the ladies that posted this, I'm just looking at the article through crap colored glasses. It's just who I am.

Just a little bit of my cynicism breaking through. It's still a good message, but for me - it just doesn't have the oomph it did before I saw the picture. Just sayin.

14 comments:

  1. Don't you dare get in a funk! You have worked too hard! Keep your chin up and if you need me, I'm here!!!!
    Much agree with your take on the article. While on the eliptical today I picked up a magazine, it seemed like the entire thing was full of diet and food plans, and beautiful, skinny women.
    There is more to life than weight, and since your doing your best, there is NO reason for defeat, just HOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear what you're saying. I saw it too and although I liked it, I saw the picture of Jewell and was all "THE FUCK she's fat!"

    And then I felt bad because I totally judged her and her (possible) eating disorder by her size and/or airbrushing talent of the photographer people. I probably only felt bad because I think Jesus helped me win a blog makeover though...which means that Jesus is totally getting his money's worth out of allowing me to win that. You know, if Jesus spent money on that sort of thing.

    In other news, I just got struck by lightening.

    Oh, and I want cheese. And wine. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatevs. I can't take Jewel that seriously since she ALWAYS manages to bring up the fact that she lived in a van (not down by the river) for a year. Like she's some bohemian free spirit because she CHOSE to do that.
    Sorry, she annoys me. More than she should? Probably.
    The message about not being ashamed, though, that's worthwhile.
    Besides, I think you're fantastic. And MY opinion is all that matters. Ever. LOL.
    Sure I want you to be healthy, but your sass, THAT's what keeps me coming back. And you'll have that no matter how tiny you get.
    If I knew where you lived, I'd hunt you down and take you karaoke'ing. Most everyone sucks at karaoke. And when everyone sucks, no one sucks.
    This could take a while, though because I'm in KY (like the jelly) and depending on where you live it could be a multi day road trip. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We could also look that great if we were airbrushed and designed on a computer. ;) That said...I don't think Jewel has ever been 202lbs. (like I was) and I can't really relate to her "struggles". There is something to be said for loving yourself no matter the size tho. It all starts with accepting what's in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am learning that loving yourself can change so many other parts of your life. It makes me a better mother, wife, daughter, etc... But it took me a long time to get there!!! I am not perfect and there are still lots of days that I dont like what I see. But I have learned so much through this weight loss journey.

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can you look like that and not love what you see?? Her message was good though. She must have been heavier when that media thing happened.
    Just don't weigh yourself yet. I'm in a funk too and I'm not going near the scale until I've ate better for a couple days...and had a good poop. Oops, sorry, TMI.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - you know, I do that every time I go and weigh myself - seems like that's x amount of ounces to tack onto my weight...tmi? Yeah, but this whole 'i'm fat and have to blog about it' is already too much information...right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh, yeah - the above.....that's me - Flabby. I have too many blogger accounts....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking of Karen...she tagged me, and I tagged you. If you get a chance to stop by check out my Funky 5 MeMe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I have those same crap colored glasses. Great post.smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. seriously.
    on all of it.
    and on the fact that we'd all be SO UNAPOLOGETICALLY OURSELVES if we knew we'd be airbrushed later.

    Im with you on the article losing its ooomph when I saw the photo but then I tried to make myself step back and remember that its how she felt.
    whether I looked at the photo and thought REALLY?! or not.

    and I have to add, oh so childishly, I LOVE THE PHRASE MAN BOOBS :)

    moobs :)

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  12. as usual, you have me rolling! you are a riot. yes. i would agree. if i had a front-page-bikini-body it would be a lot easier to give "just love your body" advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the crap coloured glasses comment made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The "crap colored glasses" were honest, realistic and had a healthy perspective to them. Just sayin'.

    Hope you feel better soon and get some active minutes in this week!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Or I will find you and sic my pet zombie on you.